Navi Mumbai: 2 die cleaning choked sewer in Rabale MIDC

Two labourers attached to a private company died after inhaling toxic fumes emanating from a choked sewer chamber they were cleaning from within.

Amit SrivastavaUpdated: Wednesday, December 07, 2022, 03:47 AM IST
article-image
Representative pic

Navi Mumbai: Two labourers attached to a private company died after inhaling toxic fumes emanating from a choked sewer chamber they were cleaning from within. Another sanitation worker has been admitted to the hospital in critical condition. The incident took place on Saturday afternoon in the Rabale MIDC area, said police.

The deceased have been identified as Jharkhand native Mr Vijay Hansda, 29, and Mr Sandip Hanbe, 35, from Digha in Airoli, while Mr Sonot Hansda, 49, was injured.

According to the police, four sanitation workers were cleaning the sewer chamber. Three of them were inside the chamber while one was outside when toxic fumes started coming out. While two of them fell unconscious inside the chamber, one of them who was at the entrance of the chamber fell unconscious after some time. “They had not worn the safety gear while going in,” said a police official from Rabale MIDC police station.

Mr Murtuja Shaikh, 30 – the worker standing outside the chamber – pulled them out with the help of others. They were taken to the civic hospital in Airoli. Mr Vijay and Mr Sandip were declared brought dead. “Mr Sonot is receiving treatment and his condition is improving,” said the official.

Meanwhile, the Rabale MIDC police registered a case of negligence causing death under sections 304A and 336 of the Indian Penal Code. Site supervisor Dattatre Giridhari was arrested and presented before the court where he was sent to police custody till Dec 8.

Death Traps: Past Incidents

Jan 2019: Three men including a contractor died allegedly inhaling poisonous gases after entering a manhole to clean it in Panvel's Kalundre village. The two labourers were not trained conservancy workers but were hired to deliver tools to the contractor.

Mar 2022: Three workers died while cleaning a public toilet in Kandivali (West)

Apr 2022: Three workers died after inhaling toxic gases while cleaning a septic tank in Virar

(If you have a story in and around Mumbai, you have our ears, be a citizen journalist and send us your story here. )

(To receive our E-paper on WhatsApp daily, please click here.  To receive it on Telegram, please click here. We permit sharing of the paper's PDF on WhatsApp and other social media platforms.)

RECENT STORIES

Maharashtra: Staggering drop among religious minorities in colleges during the pandemic

Maharashtra: Staggering drop among religious minorities in colleges during the pandemic

Bullet train: Wildlife Board clears land use for power line in sanctuary

Bullet train: Wildlife Board clears land use for power line in sanctuary

Mumbai: To curb organ trafficking, organ panel to have a cop in it

Mumbai: To curb organ trafficking, organ panel to have a cop in it

Seva Vikas Co-op Bank Fraud: Misappropriation of loan linked to 126 NPA accounts under ED scanner

Seva Vikas Co-op Bank Fraud: Misappropriation of loan linked to 126 NPA accounts under ED scanner

Panels formed to select Mumbai, Pune varsity Vice Chancellors

Panels formed to select Mumbai, Pune varsity Vice Chancellors