Mumbai: FIR against Gauahar Khan for shooting despite testing COVID-19 positive

The Mumbai Police has registered an FIR against Bollywood actress Gauahar Khan for flouting COVID-19 norms. This comes after the state reported a surge in cases hinting at a second wave.

According to a report by India Today, Khan didn’t cooperate with the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) and acted in a negligent manner. An official said, “When the civic staff went to her residence to put home quarantine stamp she refused to open the door.”

The civic body in a release said despite being infected by the coronavirus, the actor moved out in public places and took part in shootings.

The BMC in its release said on a complaint of the K- West ward's health officials, the police registered a case against the actor under IPC Sections 188 (disobedience to order duly promulgated by public servant), 269 (negligent act likely to spread infection of disease dangerous to life), 270 (malignant act likely to spread infection of disease dangerous to life) and other relevant provisions.

The actor has been quarantined, the release added.

Earlier in the day, the Mumbai Police without revealing the name of the actor, tweeted, “No ‘Role’ Greater Than Helping Keep Mumbai Safe! FIR has been filed against a Bollywood actor who flouted quarantine rules and went shooting after testing positive for COVID19. We urge citizens to ensure a well deserved climax for the virus.”

Meanwhile, BMC tweeted, "No Compromise On City’s Safety! BMC has filed an FIR against a Bollywood actor for non-compliance to COVID19 guidelines on testing positive. The rules apply to all alike and we urge citizens to follow all guidelines and help the city beat the virus."

Further details awaited.

Maharashtra reported 16,620 new COVID-19 cases and 50 deaths in the last 24 hours, informed the state health department on Sunday evening. With this, the cumulative count of the cases in the state reached 23,14,413.

Registering 8,861 recoveries in the last 24 hours, Maharashtra's total recovery count has gone up to 21,34,072.

At present, the state has a total of 1,26,231 active cases. The total death toll in the state stands at 52,861.

While the positivity rate in Maharashtra stands at 13.21 per cent, the recovery rate is 92.21 per cent. The fatality rate in the state is 2.28 per cent.

The Latur district administration has already imposed a night curfew between 8 pm and 5 am to contain the spread of the virus in the district. According to the order released by the officials, all weekly markets will remain shut till March 31. However, emergency services have been exempted.

A complete lockdown has already been announced in the Nagpur city area from March 15 to March 21 in view of the rising infections.

Maharashtra Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray had on Thursday said strict lockdown measures will be enforced in some parts of the state to contain the spread of COVID-19.

(To receive our E-paper on whatsapp daily, please click here. We permit sharing of the paper's PDF on WhatsApp and other social media platforms.)

Free Press Journal

www.freepressjournal.in