Lyon knocked out Italian giant Juventus from the Champions League after winning on aggregate away goals (2-2) on Friday at the Allianz Stadium.
Cristiano Ronaldo's brace in the second-leg fixture was not enough for his side to advance to the quarter finals. The Serie A giants were trailing 0-1 against Lyon from their first-leg fixture back in March after which a four-month hiatus was caused by the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.
In the second-leg fixture, Lyon were awarded a controversial penalty just 12 minutes after kickoff. Dutch forward Memphis Depay converted the opportunity by scoring a classic panenka penalty.
Two minutes before the half-time whistle, Juventus were awarded a penalty as well, which was converted by Ronaldo. The Portuguese star's second goal was a stunning strike from outside the box in the 60th minute.
While the final results of the game saw Juventus winning the second-leg fixture, it was Lyon who advanced to the quarter finals due to their away goal advantage.
Watch the highlights below:
Key stats from the game:
- Dutch international Memphis Depay has scored in all six of his European appearances this season.
- Cristiano Ronaldo has scored 24 goals in the round-of-16 fixtures of the Champions League. He is second only to Lionel Messi who has 26 goals to his name.
- Cristiano Ronaldo has scored last 11 of his penalties in the competition.
- Cristiano Ronaldo has missed out on the Champions League quarter finals for the first time since 2009/10.
- Memphis Depay is the first Dutchman to score at least 6 Champions League goals in a single campaign since Ruud van Nistelrooy in 2006/07
Lyon will now face Manchester City who defeated Real Madrid (2-1) in the other round-of-16 fixture.
The quarter final will take place on August 15 at the Estadio Jose Alvalade.