Thane: Ten people, including two children, have sustained injuries and were admitted to hospital after suffering from breathing proble, after fire broke out due to a short circuit in a 15-story high-rise building in Thakurli on Saturday.
Kalyan-Dombivali Municipal Corporation (KDMC) fire department, after getting the information about the fire at the Sarvodaya Hills building located at Thakurli, Dombivali, reached the spot.
The blaze did not enter flat
The fire officer, KDMC Dattatreya Shelke, said, "Even though the blaze did not enter any of the flats, the impact of the fire in the metre box was such that the smoke covered the entire building." Due to heavy smoke released from the duct, the premises got suffocated. Our team reached the spot on time and evacuated all the residents. "And the reason no casualties were reported."
The injured, who were facing breathing problems due to suffocation, were admitted to the Shastrinagar civil hospital.
Men, kids and women amongst those who injured
Dr. Mangala Sonawane, of Shastrinagar Hospital, said, "Ten people who were suffering from breathing problems were admitted here at Shastrinagar Hospital. It includes five men, two children ages 9 and 12, and five women. We administered oxygen to them for 20–25 minutes and also given them first aid, and now all of them are feeling good. One boy complained of a fracture, so we have advised him to get an X-ray."
However, the fire brigade officials have yet to confirm whether the reason was a short circuit.