Mumbai: An 85-year-old man has died after a fire in his third-floor flat in Santacruz (East), the BMC’s disaster control cell said on Saturday.
The blaze was reported in the seven-storey ‘Pride of Kalina’ society in Sundar Nagar at around 1.48am on Saturday, the civic body said.
The authorities named the victim as Nagin Lakhu.
Lakhu’s neighbours first noticed the blaze and tried to douse the flames with fire extinguishers. They opened the flat with a spare key and tried to rescue Lakhu, before alerting the fire brigade.
The BMC said it was a Level 1 (minor) blaze. The fire brigade sent four fire engines and one jumbo tanker to douse it.
Rescue workers took Lakhu to VN Desai Municipal General Hospital, where doctors declared him dead.
A fire brigade official said: “When the firemen entered the room they found charred person on the bed. They sent the person to hospital and doused the fire. The entire flat has burned down, with all the wooden furniture, curtains, etc, inside it.”
Another official said a short circuit could have triggered the blaze. However, a detailed report will be prepared looking into the cause of the incident, he said.