33% quota in promotions: Congress drops plan to walk out of Maharashtra govt

Congress party last week had taken an aggressive posture demanding the immediate withdrawal of the government resolution scrapping the 33% quota in promotions

Sanjay JogUpdated: Wednesday, June 02, 2021, 12:39 AM IST
article-image

Mumbai: The Congress party, which is sharing power with Shiv Sena and NCP in Maharashtra, has dropped its plan to walk out of the government on the cancellation of 33% quota in promotions for employees from Scheduled Caste (SC), Scheduled Tribes (ST), Vimukta Jati and Nomadic Tribes (VJNT) and Special Backward Classes (SBC). Instead, the party on Tuesday hoped for a positive outcome on the issue saying the MVA government comprising three parties will certainly find a way to provide justice to the backward classes.

Congress party last week had taken an aggressive posture demanding the immediate withdrawal of the government resolution scrapping the 33% quota in promotions. For Congress, power is not the sole aim. It has been committed to protect the Constitution of India and take every section along with it. The onus is on the previous BJP-led govt for not taking a decision way back in 2017 on reservation in promotions,’’ said state Congress chief Nana Patole.

On the other hand, Energy Minister Nitin Raut, who heads the All India Congress Committee’s SC department, had said, “There is a common minimum programme (CMP), where the Congress, NCP and Shiv Sena have agreed on various issues.

Party president Sonia Gandhi had sent a letter to the CM and sought the implementation of CMP to give justice to backward classes in the state.

Congress is firm on its demand for the withdrawal of the government resolution cancelling 33% quota in promotions.”

However, Congress party’s move came after the Cabinet Sub Committee meeting chaired by the Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar to discuss various options on the restoration of 33% quota in promotions. Already, the matter has been referred to the law and judiciary department.

Raut said he is confident for a positive outcome. ‘’Already the state government has filed a petition and the court has slated the next hearing on June 21. The cabinet sub-committee has unanimously decided to study all legal issues. All members agreed that 33% quota in promotions is important and decided to work for its restoration,’’ he added.

(To receive our E-paper on whatsapp daily, please click here. To receive it on Telegram, please click here. We permit sharing of the paper's PDF on WhatsApp and other social media platforms.)

RECENT STORIES

Maharashtra political crisis: Harish Salve likely to represent Eknath Shinde group in SC

Maharashtra political crisis: Harish Salve likely to represent Eknath Shinde group in SC

State government forms committee for security of non-major ports in Maharashtra

State government forms committee for security of non-major ports in Maharashtra

Maharashtra political crisis: Mumbai Police gear up for return of rebel Shiv Sena MLAs

Maharashtra political crisis: Mumbai Police gear up for return of rebel Shiv Sena MLAs

Roorkee woman, 6-yr-old daughter gangraped in moving car: Police

Roorkee woman, 6-yr-old daughter gangraped in moving car: Police

Maharashtra political crisis: Harish Salve likely to represent Eknath Shinde group in SC tomorrow

Maharashtra political crisis: Harish Salve likely to represent Eknath Shinde group in SC tomorrow