Vikas Dubey encounter: Kanpur gangster shot dead - latest updates

Dreaded Kanpur gangster Vikas Dubey, who was arrested in Ujjain on Thursday, was shot dead on Friday, reports said.

Confirming the same, Mohit Agarwal, Inspector General of Kanpur police said, "Gangster Vikas Dubey killed in encounter when he tried to flee after road accident."

The site where Dubey was shot dead.
The site where Dubey was shot dead.

According to reports, the vehicle overturned two kilometres before reaching Kanpur city limits. Dubey allegedly tried snatching a pistol after the vehicle overturned to make an escape, but was shot multiple times. He died en route to hospital, the report said.

Dubey was arrested on Thursday at Ujjain, while visiting the town's famous Mahakal temple.

While there are contrasting claims from the guard and the priest of the temple that led up to the events of the arrest, one video where Dubey is heard shouting mein Kanpur wala Vikas Dubey hoon, has added a dramatic twist to a criminal case that has seen the plot twists that are straight out of a crime novel.

Dubey's arrest comes on the same day two of his aides were allegedly killed in an encounter.

On July 3, 2020, at least eight police officers were killed in an encounter Dubey and his henchmen.

Acting on a tip-off from two police officers, who were subsequently arrested, Dubey and his men waited as the police officials came to arrest them, without the slightest knowledge that they were walking into a death trap.

As the police team was about to reach the hideout of the dreaded criminal, a hail of bullets was showered on them from a building rooftop, leaving Deputy SP Devendra Mishra, three sub-inspectors and four constables dead, officials said. Giving details of the incident, Uttar Pradesh Director General of Police H C Awasthi said the notorious criminal might have got an inkling of the impending raid.

On Wednesday, it was revealed that Dubey was tipped off by members of the police force. "As per evidence, it has been found that police personnel Vinay Tiwari and KK Sharma had informed Vikas Dubey about the raid beforehand. So, he was on alert and planned to attack police which resulted in the death of 8 policemen," SSP Kanpur Dinesh Prabhu told ANI.

The two have now been arrested. Tiwari had been the former Station Officer of Chaubepur Police Station that has jurisdiction over the gangster's village. Reportedly, he had watered down charges against Dubey in previous cases.

IG of Kanpur Range, Mohit Agarwal said that Tiwari and Beat Incharge KK Sharma had been present during the encounter, but had fled the site of the incident during the operation.

(To download our E-paper please click here. The publishers permit sharing of the paper's PDF on WhatsApp and other social media platforms.)

Free Press Journal