JNU violence: Day after FIR filed, Delhi Police fails to make arrests, no attacker identified

It has been twenty-four hours after masked men went on a rampage at Jawaharlal Nehru University, which left more than 30 injured, the Delhi police is yet to make arrest. The Delhi Police also failed to identify the attackers. But on Tuesday, Delhi Police filed a FIR against JNU students' union leader Aishe Ghosh and 19 other people for allegedly vandalising the university server room and attacking security guards.

Ghosh, who appeared on national TV on Sunday evening with blood soaked face and with a bandage on Monday, is now been alleged to have played a key role in the violence in JNU, which took place on Sunday. She has been booked under Sections 341, 323, 506 of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) and various sections of Prevention of Damage to Public property Act, 1984. Apart from her, Saket Moon, Satish Yadav, Sarika Chaudhury, among others, are named in the FIR.

“It was an organised attack. They were singling out people and attacking. There is a clear nexus of JNU administration, security police and the ABVP vandals. They did not intervene to stop violence,” Ghosh told reporters. “For last four-five days, some RSS-affiliated professors were promoting violence to break our movement. Are we wrong to ask for safety from JNU and Delhi Police?”

According to Indian Express, On Monday, members of the ABVP, some right-wing groups and local supporters started a march around 4 pm on a section of the road near the JNU north gate, but were stopped by police barricades a few metres ahead. By 5 pm, hundreds of people managed to go around the police barricade and made their way to the north gate by going through narrow lanes of nearby colonies.

The cops earlier registered four FIRs in JNU violence that shook the national capital on Sunday. The Delhi Police said that one FIR was registered on January 4 on the complaint of JNU administration regarding obstruction in the registration process. The students had to register for next semester admission which was allegedly blocked by some students. The second and third FIRs were registered regarding scuffle and obstruction in registration process on January 4. The fourth FIR was registered on January 6 for arson against unidentified and identified people for their alleged role in JNU violence that took place on Sunday.

On Sunday evening, more than 30 students of the university including JNUSU president Aishe Ghosh were injured and were taken to the AIIMS Trauma Centre after a masked mob entered the varsity and attacked them and professors with sticks and rods. According to sources in the Delhi Police, the investigation has revealed that some insiders and some outsiders were involved in the violence.

(Inputs from Agencies)

(To download our E-paper please click here. The publishers permit sharing of the paper's PDF on WhatsApp and other social media platforms.)

Free Press Journal