Satna (MP): Infants at a district hospital here had a narrow escape after fire broke out at its Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU), police said today.

The blaze erupted at the hospital’s NICU late last evening following which the 37 infants in the ward were immediately rescued, Satna Superintendent of Police K C Jain said.

Police and fire brigade personnel rushed to the site and broke open the windows of the ward which was filled with smoke and rescued the infants, he said.

Eighteen infants were later shifted to SS Medical College at Rewa, the official said.

The fire broke out apparently due to a short circuit, police said, adding that the flames were doused in about 30 minutes.

Further investigation in the incident was on, police said.

(To receive our E-paper on whatsapp daily, please click here. We permit sharing of the paper's PDF on WhatsApp and other social media platforms.)

Free Press Journal