New Delhi : A 29-year-old Manipuri BPO employee was beaten to death early on Monday by three youths who were promptly arrested. The brutal attack sparked outrage in the northeastern community.

Shaloni, 29, of Munrika in south Delhi was assaulted around 2.30 a.m. following a spat with the attackers while he was going to a friend’s house in Kotla Mubarakpur area in south Delhi to spend the night.

According to police, Shaloni and two of his friends were in an autorickshaw near the Big Apple shop when the attackers came behind in a white Hyundai Verna car and honked furiously to overtake the rickshaw.

The rickshaw driver did not give way and Shaloni and his friends abused the occupants of the car, a police officer told IANS.

Enraged, the three youths intercepted the autorickshaw.

 “While Shaloni’s friends managed to flee, the assailants beat him up and escaped,” the officer said.

One of Shaloni’s friends called up the Police Control Room. Joint Commissioner of Police Robin Hibu said the unconscious Shaloni was rushed to the AIIMS Trauma Centre where he was declared dead.

Within hours, police arrested Sanjay Basoya, 24, Shakti Basoya, 21, and Raju, 25, — all residents of Garhi in south Delhi — on charges of attacking Shaloni.

Minister of State for Home Kiren Rijiju said: “We are very much disturbed by such incidents against the people from northeast. We are going through a comprehensive inquiry on the whole matter so that it can be dealt effectively,” said Rijiju, MP from Arunachal Pradesh.

Hibu added: “The case is being probed from all angles as there seems to be no sudden provocation.”

  Police are analysing the call details of the victim’s mobile phone. They have seized the footage of a CCTV camera installed outside a shop at the crime spot.

It was the second fatal attack on a young man from the northeast in Delhi in six months.

The earlier victim, Nido Tania, 19, was also from Arunachal Pradesh. He died after being beaten with iron rods and sticks by men following an altercation with a shopkeeper in a south Delhi market, not far from Kotla Mubarakpur.

Monday’s attack shocked the northeast community in Delhi.

 “It is very unfortunate that such incidents against people from the northeast are on the rise,” M.P. Bezbaruah, chairperson of the Bezbaruah Committee, formed by the government after Tania’s attack, said.

The committee was asked to suggest remedial measures to address concerns of the northeastern people in metro cities.

 “There is an urgent need for intervention by the police and the government,” Bezbaruah said.

  J T Tagam, a leader from the Northeastern Student’s Union, said: “There are many areas in the city where police patrolling is lacking.  Even in the area where this incident took place, police patrolling is not a regular feature.”

(To receive our E-paper on whatsapp daily, please click here. We permit sharing of the paper's PDF on WhatsApp and other social media platforms.)

Free Press Journal