Bhutta or corn is an indispensable part of the Indian diet. Corn contains folic acid, potassium, and thiamine and some Vitamin C. It is also a good source of fibre.
Chefs and culinary experts share their favourite corn-based recipes...
Bhutte Ki Kees
Recipe: Chef Pallavi Nigam Sahay - TV host, Author and Tea Sommelier
- Ghee — 1 tbsp
- Cumin seeds —½ tsp
- Mustard seeds — ½ tsp
- Asafoetida or heeng pinch
- Grated ginger — 1 tsp
- Chopped green chili — 1 tsp
- Red chilli powder — ¼ tsp
- Turmeric powder — ¼ tsp
- Salt to taste, Sugar — ½ tsp
- Milk — ½ cup
- Chopped coriander — 1 tbsp
- Grated coconut —1 tbsp
- Take the corn kernels out of cob and grind them in a mixer grinder till it becomes a thick pulp.
- Heat ghee in a pan, add jeera and mustard seed and let them crackle.
- Add asafoetida, ginger, green chili, and turmeric powder.
- Add corn pulp and sauté while continuously stirring for four to five minutes.
- Now add red chili powder, salt, and milk. Cook, while stirring for 5-6 minutes. Corn pulp will change its colour.
- Serve garnished with grated coconut and chopped coriander.
Dahi Bhutteyan de Kebab
Recipe: Chef Milan Gupta
Restaurant: Taftoon Bar & Kitchen
- Frozen corn kernels — 500 gm
- Chaat masala — 10 gm
- Jeera powder — 10 gm
- Black salt — 5 gm
- Salt to taste
- Dhaniya chopped — 8 gm
- Hung curd — 50 gm
- Green chilllies — 3-4 pcs
- Oil — 5 ml
- In a pan sauté corn kernels on high heat with green chilli and little salt.
- Coarsely chop the corn in a mixer.
- Add rest of the ingredients and mix well.
- Make round tikkis of 60 gm each.
- On a hot plate grill the tikkis from both sides.
- Serve hot with mint chutney
Chinese Style Corn Curd
Recipe: Chef Ananya Banerjee - TV host and Cookbook Author
- 1 tin cream style sweet corn 400 gm
- 1 cup corn flour
- White pepper powder —1/2 teaspoon
- Spring onion greens chopped 1 stalk
- Oil for deep frying for greasing
- Salt to taste
- Heat a pan. Mix together sweet corn, corn flour, salt, white pepper powder and add to the pan. Cook on high heat for five minutes or till the mixture thickens.
- Add spring onion greens and mix well. Remove from heat.
- Grease a plate or a barfi tray with oil and sprinkle with some corn flour; spread the sweet corn mixture on it, smoothing the surface. Set aside to cool.
- Cut out square or diamond shaped pieces and dust with some cornflour. Deep-fry the pieces till golden.
Thai Corn & Green Scallion Fritters
Recipe: Executive Chef Binish Baby, Lemon Tree Premier
Restaurant: Republic of Noodles
- American sweet corn kernels —15 gm
- Red curry paste — 1tbsp
- Coriander root-garlic paste —1tsp
- Black pepper crushed — 1tsp
- Kaffir lime leaves — a few
- Spring onion chopped — 2
- Red chillies chopped — 2
- Baking powder a pinch
- Refined flour — 2 tbsp
- Oil for frying
- Salt to taste
- Chilli plum sauce for serving
- Mix all the ingredients, except oil,
- Make a smooth mixture and roll into six equal balls.
- Flatten each ball into round fritters.
- Deep fry the fritters in medium hot oil till golden brown.
- Serve hot with chilli plum sauce.