Around 20 people were rescued on Friday after a major fire erupted at the Hira Panna Mall in Oshiwara, Jogeshwari, while three firefighters suffered smoke inhalation. Sandip Patil, Raju Singankar and Yogesh Kondwar had to be admitted at the trauma center of the Cooper Hospital, but their condition is stated to be stable now.
The level-3 blaze broke out at around 3 pm and thick smoke stranded people, trapping them inside the three-storey mall. Five of them, who were at the gym when the mishap occurred, had to be extricated from the terrace while ladders had to be deployed for rescuing nine others.
According to fire brigade officials, fire was confined to electric wiring and installation in 10-12 shops located on the second and third floors. After a three hours struggle, the fire was brought under control using five small hose lines and a high pressure pump.
Chief Fire Officer Ravindra Ambulgekar said, “A senior citizen also suffered smoke inhalation, who was admitted to the Kokilaben Hospital, but his condition is stable now. The fire started from the electric duct on the second floor and it subsequently started spreading downwards.” The blaze intensified owing to the presence of clothing shops in the mall. The firefighting system was working, but it stopped functioning after a few hours. Thereafter, the fire brigade used its own extinguishing system, he added.
Two fire engines, 10 jumbo tanks, four ambulances, and a water tank and a quick response vehicle each were pressed into service.