Powai lake overflooded on Saturday due to heavy and incessant rains in Mumbai at around 3 pm. Early last year, the late had flooded on July 5 2020 due to heavy rains that hit the city.
Considering this, this year the lake has started filling up and flowing about 24 days earlier than last year. The water of this lake with a storage capacity of 545 crore liters, is mainly used for industrial purposes as it is not fit for human consumption. Due to the rains in the catchment area of the lake in the last few days, the lake has started overflowing, said the water engineer department of the corporation.
The important information about Powai Lake is as follows:
1. The lake is approximately 27 km (about 17 miles) from the BMC headquarters.
2. The construction of this artificial lake was completed in the year 1890.
3. The cost of construction of this lake was around Rs. 40 lakhs at that time.
4. The catchment area of this lake is about 6.61 km and if the lake is full, then the water area is about 2.23 sq km.
5. When the lake is full, it holds 545.5 crore liters (5455 million liters) of water.