Mansukh Hiren death case: Sachin Vaze confesses to tossing evidence into Mumbai's Mithi river, says report
Mansukh Hiren death case: Sachin Vaze confesses to tossing evidence into Mumbai's Mithi river, says report
ANI Photo

Suspended Mumbai cop Sachin Vaze was taken to the bridge over Mithi river in Mumbai's Bandra Kurla Complex (BKC) by the National Investigation Agency (NIA) officials on Sunday in connection with Mansukh Hiren death probe.

According to news agency ANI, the divers recovered two CPUs, a laptop, two number plates with same registration number on them, DVRs, and other items from the river.

Meanwhile, on being confronted with circumstantial evidence, Sachin Vaze confessed to tossing some pieces of evidence into the Mithi river, news agency ANI quoted NIA sources as saying.

"The recovered DVRs (Digital Video Recorders) are of his housing society where the Scorpio car was parked between Feb 17-Feb 24, of shops where various number plates were made & of other places where Vaze suspected that his movement could have been captured," NIA sources said. "These pieces of evidence were in Vaze’s custody till the time of Mansukh’s death," they added.

On Thursday, NIA officials had taken Vaze to Reti Bunder creek in Thane where Mansukh Hiren's body had been found on March 5.

The NIA, which has taken over both the Ambani security scare case as well as the Hiren death probe, has got further custody of Vaze till April 3.

On Wednesday, the NIA had taken the custody from the Maharashtra Anti Terrorism Squad (ATS) of suspended police officer Vinayak Shinde and cricket bookie Naresh Gaur in the Hiren case.

Vaze was arrested by the NIA on March 13 in connection with the Scorpio with gelatin sticks and a threat letter found near industrialist Mukesh Ambani's house in south Mumbai on February 25. Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act (UAPA) has also been invoked against Vaze. Hiren had claimed that this Scorpio had been stolen from his possession a week earlier.

However, Vaze told in the court that he has been made a scapegoat. "I have been made a scapegoat and have nothing to do with the case," Vaze told judge P R Sitre during the hearing. "I was investigating officer of the case for one and a half days, and did whatever I could in that capacity. But there was suddenly a change in some plan somewhere. I went to the NIA office on my own and was arrested," the police officer said, adding he had not confessed to anything.

(To receive our E-paper on whatsapp daily, please click here. We permit sharing of the paper's PDF on WhatsApp and other social media platforms.)

Free Press Journal