The collapse of the fourstorey building in Kurla (East) on Monday night resulted in the deaths of 19 people (at the time of going to press), while four, including a 17-year-old, have been admitted to Rajawadi and Sion Hospitals with severe injuries.
Meanwhile, 10 people who sustained minor injuries such as bruises to the hands, legs and head have been discharged after being treated at the hospitals' Outpatients Departments (OPDs).
A senior medical officer from Rajawadi Hospital said since midnight they have been getting admissions to the casualty department and most of them have minor injuries, except four who have been admitted to the trauma ward.
Until midnight on Monday, only three deaths were reported but the toll has since risen to 19. “A 17-year-old boy has suffered major injuries on his chest and thighs and has suffered from blunt trauma injury. He is undergoing treatment at the hospital.
Another 36-year-old patient has suffered multiple injuries for which he is being treated in the trauma ward of the hospital,” said a doctor.
The scenario at the hospital was totally different as compared to usual days with all the workers in the building who were able to escape or sustained minor injuries waiting outside for their co-workers who had been injured.
Most of them were busy informing the relatives of the deceased or injured. “We were asked to wait near the casualty department to identify the deceased. We have been anxious and scared as most of our co-workers were stuck under debris. We were praying they are alive. But on Tuesday afternoon their bodies were removed from the debris and were brought to the hospital,” said one of the survivors.
Meanwhile, a contractor from Dombivli, Dilip Kumar was looking for three of his workers at the hospital who had stayed with him in Dombivali. All had visited the building last night to meet one of their friends who was supposed to go back to his native village today.
“I am trying to call one of my workers, but nobody is receiving calls,” he said.