CSMT bridge collapse: Structural auditor denied bail

CSMT bridge collapse: Structural auditor denied bail

AgenciesUpdated: Wednesday, May 29, 2019, 12:11 AM IST
article-image
(Photo / AFP) |

Mumbai: A court on Friday rejected the bail plea of a structural auditor arrested for alleged negligence following the last month’s foot overbridge (FOB) collapse near the CSMT station here that left six people dead.

Neerajkumar Desai’s company had allegedly carried out the structural audit of the bridge in August last year and declared it safe for use despite finding some corrosion. Desai was arrested by police days after the bridge collapse on March 14. Metropolitan Magistrate N N Joshi rejected Desai’s bail plea Friday. A detailed order is not available yet.

Public prosecutor Rajendra Suryavanshi had opposed bail on the ground that the investigation was under progress and the accused might tamper with evidence if released. Apart from Desai, two other Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) officials who worked in the bridges department have been arrested. A preliminary report of the civic body said the structural audit was not carried out properly.

RECENT STORIES

Mumbai Fraud: Khar Police Book Director For Cheating Actress Of ₹71.50 Lakh In Film Investment...

Mumbai Fraud: Khar Police Book Director For Cheating Actress Of ₹71.50 Lakh In Film Investment...

PNB Fraud Case: Special Court Rejects Plea To Drop FEO Proceedings Against Mehul Choksi; ED Says...

PNB Fraud Case: Special Court Rejects Plea To Drop FEO Proceedings Against Mehul Choksi; ED Says...

Navi Mumbai Crime: CBI Probes Customs Superintendent For Allegedly Demanding ₹5 Lakh Bribe Per...

Navi Mumbai Crime: CBI Probes Customs Superintendent For Allegedly Demanding ₹5 Lakh Bribe Per...

Maharashtra Govt Names Rajesh Aggarwal As New Chief Secretary

Maharashtra Govt Names Rajesh Aggarwal As New Chief Secretary

Mumbai News: Bombay Parsi Punchayet Puts Controversial Flat Allotment On Hold After Debate

Mumbai News: Bombay Parsi Punchayet Puts Controversial Flat Allotment On Hold After Debate