Advertisement

World

Updated on: Wednesday, May 29, 2019, 12:05 AM IST

US pulls troops out of Libya

Advertisement

Washington: The US has pulled a contingent of its troops from Libya amid rising violence in the capital city of Tripoli, America’s top commander for Africa said. The UN-backed government in Libya said 35 people have been killed and 27 wounded in fighting near the capital. International powers have begun evacuating personnel from Libya amid the worsening security situation.

“The security realities on the ground in Libya are growing increasingly complex and unpredictable,” said Marine Corps Gen Thomas Waldhauser, head of US Africa Command, in a stAgencies / Washington The US has pulled a contingent of its troops from Libya amid rising violence in the capital city of Tripoli, America’s top commander for Africa said.

The UN-backed government in Libya said 35 people have been killed and 27 wounded in fighting near the capital. International powers have begun evacuating personnel from Libya amid the worsening security situation. “The security realities on the ground in Libya are growing increasingly complex and unpredictable,” said Marine Corps Gen Thomas Waldhauser, head of US Africa Command, in a statement on Sunday cited by CNN.

Advertisement

“Even with an adjustment of the force, we will continue to remain agile in support of existing US strategy.” He said the repositioning was in response to security concerns. “A contingent of US forces supporting Africom temporarily relocated from Libya in response to security conditions. We will continue to monitor conditions on the ground and assess the feasibility for renewed US military presence, as appropriate,” the combatant command tweeted.

Italian multinational oil and gas company, Eni, has decided to evacuate all its Italian personnel from the country. The UN is also due to pull out non-essential staff, reports said. Tensions in the country have risen since rogue Libyan military commander, Gen Khalifa Haftar, ordered his forces to attack the government in Tripoli last week.

Gen Haftar’s Libyan National Army is seeking to take over from the internationally recognised government of National Accord (GNA). US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo expressed concern over the situation in Libya and condemned Gen Haftar’s offensive.  “This unilateral military campaign against Tripoli is endangering civilians and undermining prospects for a better future for all Libyans,” he said.

Advertisement

Libyan PM Fayez al-Sarraj accused Gen Haftar of attempting a coup and said rebels will be met with force. Meanwhile, on Sunday, Russia blocked proposals for the council to adopt a formal statement, instead insisting that all Libyan forces be urged to stop fighting, diplomats said. Moscow is a key supporter of Haftar, along with Egypt and the UAE.

But the Kremlin on Monday urged “all sides to reject actions that could provoke bloodshed in battle and the deaths of civilians”.atement on Sunday cited by CNN. “Even with an adjustment of the force, we will continue to remain agile in support of existing US strategy.”

He said the repositioning was in response to security concerns. “A contingent of US forces supporting Africom temporarily relocated from Libya in response to security conditions. We will continue to monitor conditions on the ground and assess the feasibility for renewed US military presence, as appropriate,” the combatant command tweeted. Italian multinational oil and gas company, Eni, has decided to evacuate all its Italian personnel from the country.

Advertisement

The UN is also due to pull out non-essential staff, reports said. Tensions in the country have risen since rogue Libyan military commander, Gen Khalifa Haftar, ordered his forces to attack the government in Tripoli last week.

Gen Haftar’s Libyan National Army is seeking to take over from the internationally recognised government of National Accord (GNA). US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo expressed concern over the situation in Libya and condemned Gen Haftar’s offensive.

“This unilateral military campaign against Tripoli is endangering civilians and undermining prospects for a better future for all Libyans,” he said Libyan PM Fayez al-Sarraj accused Gen Haftar of attempting a coup and said rebels will be met with force.

Meanwhile, on Sunday, Russia blocked proposals for the council to adopt a formal statement, instead insisting that all Libyan forces be urged to stop fighting, diplomats said. Moscow is a key supporter of Haftar, along with Egypt and the UAE.But the Kremlin on Monday urged “all sides to reject actions that could provoke bloodshed in battle and the deaths of civilians”.

(To receive our E-paper on whatsapp daily, please click here. We permit sharing of the paper's PDF on WhatsApp and other social media platforms.)

Published on: Tuesday, April 09, 2019, 03:41 AM IST
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement