Tripoli: Fighting near Tripoli has killed 121 people and wounded 561 since strongman Khalifa Haftar launched an offensive earlier this month to take the Libyan capital, the World Health Organisation said on Sunday. WHO’s Libya account said on Twitter the organisation was sending medical supplies and more staff to Tripoli, and denounced “repeated attacks on health care workers, vehicles” during the fighting which erupted on April 4.
Haftar’s forces, which control swathes of the country’s east, have defied global calls to halt battle against fighters loyal to the UN-backed Govt of National Accord in Tripoli. The UN office for humanitarian affairs said over 13,500 people were displaced, while over 900 residents are in shelters. “Three medics were killed and five ambulances have been incapacitated by shrapnel.”