Six people, including a senior citizen and two minors, sustained burn injuries in a cylinder leakage which occurred on Monday morning. Reported at around 8.45am, the blaze erupted in a one plus structure in a chawl located near the Rizvi school, Khar West.
6 people injured, moved to hospital
According to officials, fire was confined to electric wiring, installation, and household articles. The injured were rushed to the Bhabha Hospital in Bandra in a private vehicle before firefighters arrived. Those who sustained around 50% burns were identified as Priyanka Jaiswal, 26, and Sunil Jaiswal, 29, while others with more than 40% burns are Sakhubai Jaiswal, 65, and Nikita Mandalik, 26. All of them are kept in the intensive care unit. Seven-year-old Vanshika Chavan is said to be in a critical condition, while six-year-old Pratham Jaiswal sustained 45% burns. Both of them have been shifted to the Kasturba Hospital.
Fire due to gas leak
Chief Fire Brigade Officer Sanjay Manjrekar said, “The blaze erupted as one of the family members tried to lit up the stove, unknowing that the gas cylinder was leaking. The house was damaged but the fire didn't affect the adjacent rooms.”
The blaze was finally doused after an hour's struggle. The police and fire brigade have conducted a detailed analysis of the incident.