Indore : Initial forensic reports on the girl, who died with a gunshot wound to the chest, suggest that she may not be holding the gun that fired the fatal 9mm bullet. The reports also claim that the gun was at least 3 ft away from the 11-year-old victim when it was fired on Wednesday.

However, police claim that mystery still shrouds the death of Mishthi alias Mahi Yadav, daughter of Yogendra Yadav, a liquor contractor, at his office in Banganga area. Police had found a country-made pistol lying in the office, where Mishthi was apparently playing with other kids.

The case turned out to be high-profile affair as the deceased was also relative of influential Congress leader Bante Yadav – who is known to have good clout in local and state politics.

SP East OP Tripathi told Free Press, “Police are yet to record the statement of the family members of the decease girl as the shell shocked family was busy in the last rites of the victim on Thursday.”

However, police are investigating the case with various angles as the weapon found at scene of crime was illegal and police have to dig out how the illegal pistol reached inside the office, Triapathi added.

There is a strong possibility that the death of the minor girl is accidental and any foul play is ruled out, claimed the SP. As the victim was a minor girl, there is no possibility that any outsider opened fire, Tripathi said, adding further the looking at the background of the family, chances of hiding such information are also remote.

Meanwhile, Mishthi’s final rites were performed after the body was handed over after detailed post-mortem. Primary observation of the body did not reveal any blistering on the chest, which is often caused when close-range shots are fired. Thus the experts suspect that the bullet was fired at a distance of over 3 ft.

The investigators did not find any gunpowder residue on Mishthi’s hand, thus ruling out that she might have accidentally pressed the trigger.

The father of the deceased girl had claimed that Mishthi was alone in the office, when he heard the gunshot. Her aunt had taken the younger sibling, 2-years-old Shudhhi, to the rest room and she also failed to notice what actually happened before she rushed after hearing gunshot.

(To receive our E-paper on whatsapp daily, please click here. We permit sharing of the paper's PDF on WhatsApp and other social media platforms.)

Free Press Journal