Taking a strong note of the notorious act committed by a private hospital of Agra in which 22 COVID-19 patients were killed by blocking oxygen supply, the state government has decided to seal it and lodge a case under Pandemic Act. A high-level inquiry has been ordered in the matter.
On Monday, a videotape went viral showing that Paras Hospital owner Arinjay Jain carried out a mock drill by blocking oxygen supply on April 28. The owner of Paras Hospital claimed that 22 COVID-19 patients had died after those five minutes of mock drill.
The viral video had sent shock wave all across and it was demanded that stern action be taken against the guilty that killed innocent patients. The state government had immediately sought a report from the Agra district administration.
The district magistrate of Agra, PN Singh on Tuesday claimed that the viral video doing rounds in the media is not true. He said that there was no shortage of oxygen in Agra and in particular with the hospital in question on April 28, the day video was shot. He said that on April 28 there was sufficient oxygen with the Paras hospital and hence patients’ dying due to its shortage is not true. The district magistrate said that no one died in Paras hospital on the said date due to lack of oxygen. He however said that the number of people died on April 28 will be found and reasons will be made public very soon.
The accused in the case and owner of Paras Hospital Arinjay Jain said that there was no mock drill conducted in his hospital and no one had died due to lack of oxygen. He said that the hospital administration was only making assessment of the oxygen requirement and mock drill does not mean blocking oxygen supply.
Meanwhile the additional chief secretary home of U.P., Awneesh Awasthi ordered Agra police to lodge FIR against the owner of Paras Hospital and seal it completely. Police has registered case against hospital owner Arinjay Jain under section 188, 505, 52, 54 and section 3. After seizing the hospital, the patients undergoing treatment there have been shifted to other nursing homes.