October 2 marks the birth anniversary of Lal Bahadur Shastri, yet another leadership figure from the days of Indian freedom struggle along with Mahatma Gandhi. Lal Bahadur Shastri whose birth date coincides with that of Gandhi ji was born in Uttar Pradesh in 1904. The leader is remembered for his contributions towards fighting British rule and bringing welfare to the people. As we mark his birth anniversary this Monday, here are some quotes attributed to the visionary leader for one to take inspiration.
10 quotes by Lal Bahadur Shastri
1. True democracy or the Swaraj of the masses can never come through untruthful and violent means.
2. We believe in freedom, freedom for the people of each country to follow their destiny without external interference.
3. It is most regrettable that nuclear energy is being harnessed for making nuclear weapons.
4. The unique thing about our country is that we have Hindus, Muslims, Christians, Sikhs, Parsis, and people of all other religions. We have temples and mosques, gurdwaras and churches. But we do not bring all this into politics. This is the difference between India and Pakistan.
5. The basic idea of governance, as I see it, is to hold the society together so that it can develop and march towards certain goals.
6. We must fight for peace bravely as we fought in war.
7. We can win respect in the world only if we are strong internally and can banish poverty and unemployment from our country.
8. We believe in peace and peaceful development, not only for ourselves but for people all over the world.
9. India will have to hang down her head in shame if even one person is left who is said in any way to be untouchable.
10. Our country has often stood like a solid rock in the face of common danger, and there is a deep underlying unity which runs like a golden thread through all our seeming diversity.