Advertisement

World

Updated on: Thursday, October 14, 2021, 10:51 PM IST

India takes note as China, Bhutan sign MoU for 3-step roadmap to resolve boundary dispute

Advertisement

THIMPU: Amid the border dispute with India, China on Thursday signed a three-step roadmap with Bhutan for expediting the boundary negotiations.

India is keeping a close watch on Bhutan and China's negotiations, as in the past, the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) had made attempts to encroach upon strategic land mass of Bhutan in the Dhoklam area, near a trijunction border known as Donglang.


Bhutan's Ministry of Foreign Affairs said in a statement that the Foreign Minister of Bhutan, Lyonpo Tandi Dorji, and the Assistant Minister of Foreign Affairs of China, Wu Jianghao, have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between the Royal Government of Bhutan and the Government of the People's Republic of China on the three-step roadmap for expediting the Bhutan-China boundary negotiations.


"The MoU was signed in a virtual ceremony on October 14," said Bhutan's Ministry of Foreign Affairs.


Boundary negotiations between Bhutan and China began in 1984 and the two sides have held 24 rounds of talks and 10 rounds of meeting at the expert group level.

Earlier on several occasions, Bhutan had objected to Chinese intrusion into their land. In 2017, China was carrying out infrastructural development work at Doklam, the tri junction of three countries -- India, China and Bhutan -- to which India objected. China had then claimed that there was boundary dispute between Bhutan and China and to which India had no claims.

However, India had refuted the claim and stood guard, matching the deployment of the Chinese troops for 73 days. The standoff was triggered by China saying that it was constructing a road within its territory. This was disputed by India, which said that the road construction site was on the Bhutanese territory.

In Doklam, India feared that the Chinese road would give its military access to heights from where it could threaten the Siliguri Corridor, India's tenuous link with its north-eastern region.

The crisis was resolved with diplomatic maturity without losing any ground. There was no change in the status quo on the ground and the face-off ended on August 28, 2017.

(To receive our E-paper on whatsapp daily, please click here. We permit sharing of the paper's PDF on WhatsApp and other social media platforms.)

Advertisement
Published on: Thursday, October 14, 2021, 10:51 PM IST
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement