Lost your Original Property Papers? Here’s what to do

FPJ Bureau | Updated on: Wednesday, May 29, 2019, 08:30 AM IST

Representational image |
Representational image |

When any important documents are misplaced or left out in a train, bus or taxi, a public notice ad is given in newspaper informing the public at large. If you lose an important property deed it can prove to be a nightmare since it can lead to financial loss. If it is an original document, is liable to be misused and you can face legal trouble. Even the loss of seemingly insignificant documents like school leaving certificates can pose a dilemma.

The first step is to lodge a police complaint. Thereafter, issue a public notice loss of documents ads in two leading newspapers, preferably in an English language and a vernacular one, stating the loss of document. Remember to keep a copy of the complaint as well as the press clippings with you as proof of loss.

Procedure for getting duplicate papers of the property when you lose them


File a police complaint immediately

You will need to file a police complaint as soon as possible after you have realised that certain papers are missing

Publish an advertisement


Once you have filed the FIR, you will need to publish a public notice in an English daily newspaper and in any regional newspaper about the loss of property documents. You can book public notice at an economical rate over here

File an application for share certificate

On the basis of your FIR, you can file an application for share certificate from the housing society. The authorized Resident Welfare Association (RWA) calls a society meeting and checks your proof (FIR) of loss. If your application gets approved, the housing society will charge a fee and in return issue you a share certificate.


Register with the notary

The next step is the preparation of undertaking on stamp paper about the loss of documents of the particular property along with the text of advertisement which was published in a newspaper and the police complaint number. Documents will then be attested and registered with the notary, so that your undertaking becomes legal.

Get the duplicate sale deed

For this, you have to deposit copies of the police complaint, text of the advertisement, the share certificate and the undertaking stamped by the notary to the registrar office, since all the records regarding property transactions will be kept in that particular office. Then, you need to pay the fees and they would issue a duplicate copy of the sale deed.

Disclaimer: Please note that the contents of this blog have been provided for informational purposes only and are not intended to replace legal advice.

(To receive our E-paper on whatsapp daily, please click here. To receive it on Telegram, please click here. We permit sharing of the paper's PDF on WhatsApp and other social media platforms.)

Published on: Monday, June 18, 2018, 12:17 PM IST