A 48-year-old woman died after falling from the terrace of a four-storied building in Manik Nagar Society on Wednesday morning in Old Panvel. The incident took place when an asbestos sheet was caved in when the deceased woman was reportedly spreading grains over it to dry in the sunlight.
Police said that the incident took place around 11.30 am on Wednesday and the deceased woman was a resident of the same building.
The woman was identified as Minakshi Rajendra Deshmukh. Police said that the exact reason why she fell is not known. However, an asbestos sheet that was used to cover the ventilation shaft of the kitchen and bathroom over the building was seen broken. It might have caved in after the deceased was doing something over it. An accidental death report is being registered at Panvel City police station.
The deceased woman had celebrated the Vat Savitri festival yesterday along with other society women and the incident of her falling from the building's terrace shocked residents. Police said that the resident informed them she was using the asbestos sheet in the past also. But on Wednesday, the sheet caved in and fell on the ground floor. “We have seen wheat and dried coconut spared on the place where she had fallen,” said an on-duty police official. He added that she fell on children's bicycles that were parked in the ventilation area of the ground floor.