Navi Mumbai, August 22, 2026: The Navi Mumbai Municipal Corporation (NMMC) on Friday sealed a construction site of Avenue Supermart Ltd at Plot No. 3-1A in Sector 18, Turbhe, for failing to implement mandatory measures to control air and dust pollution.
Pollution Norm Violations
The action was taken following repeated violations of the pollution-control measures prescribed for construction sites and directions issued by the Bombay High Court in Suo Motu Public Interest Litigation No. 3/2023. The civic administration said enforcement against construction sites violating air-pollution norms would be intensified across all wards.
During an inspection conducted by Municipal Commissioner Dr Kailas Shinde on January 24, several violations were found at the site. The buildings under construction had not been enclosed with green cloth and wet jute-sheet tarpaulins.
Water fogging was not being carried out during loading and unloading of construction material, while workers were found without masks, goggles and aprons.
Dust Control Measures Missing
The inspection also found that water-spraying equipment to prevent dust pollution within a 500-metre radius and on adjoining roads was not operational.
Soil and construction material being transported were not covered, while dust and soil had accumulated on the road and footpath. No responsible representative or site manager was present during the inspection.
“Immediate and effective measures to control dust and air pollution are mandatory at construction sites. Failure to comply with the prescribed measures will invite strict action, including stoppage or sealing of construction work,” the NMMC said.
Earlier Notices Issued
The civic body had earlier issued notices to developers and construction holders directing them to comply with the Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) for controlling air and noise pollution. The notices specifically warned that construction work would be stopped if adequate pollution-control measures were not implemented.
The sealing action was carried out on the orders of Municipal Commissioner Dr Kailas Shinde and under the guidance of Additional Commissioner Dr Rahul Gethe and Deputy Commissioner (Encroachment) Sanjay Shinde.
Assistant Commissioner, Turbhe, Sagar More, Junior Engineer Vinod Anche and other officials and staff were present during the action. Police personnel and security guards from the encroachment department were also deployed.
Also Watch:
More Action Expected
The NMMC said similar action would be intensified against construction sites found violating air-pollution control norms in the coming days.
To get details on exclusive and budget-friendly property deals in Mumbai & surrounding regions, do visit: https://budgetproperties.in/
