Mumbai: In a tragic incident related to the fire in a nine-storey building in Kandivli which broke out on Monday (October 23), Paul Valthaty, a former Indian Premier League (IPL) cricketer, lost his sister and nephew after they were possibly trapped while trying to go down the staircase. The cricketer, Paul Valthaty, at the time of the incident, was downstairs and helping other people get down or escape, according to reports.
Sister of cricketer had come down from Scotland
The sister and nephew of the cricketer, Glory Roberts and Joshua, were UK residents and had come down from Scotland as Glory wanted to see her ailing mother.
Glory's husband Noel had also accompanied them and was in the building when the fire broke out. He reportedly told Glory and his son Joshua to get out of the house with the maids. According to reports, both Glory and Joshua reached the first floor in an attempt to come downstairs. However, they could not go beyond that due to the raging fire and heat. They then tried going to the terrace, but could not reach there either. Even the maids with them are in critical condition.
Fire in Kandivli building
According to the fire brigade, a fire broke out in a ground plus eight floor residential building, Veena Santoor Co-op Hsg Society at Sai Baba Nagar in the Mantanpada area of Borivli West, at 12.27pm on Monday. Initially, the blaze was declared as Level 1 (not severe). It was doused at 4.34pm. The fire was confined to electric wiring and other electrical installations on the first floor of the building. The injured were admitted to the BMC run Shatabdi Hospital. Two people died in the fire and three people were injured.