Thane: A Maharashtra State Road Transport Corporation (MSRTC) bus traveling from Thane to Bhiwandi caught fire on Friday, October 23, at around 9:50am near Catholic Co-operative bank at Tembhinaka in Thane (West).
No casualties were reported in the incident and all the 70 passengers were rescued from the bus.
Fire due to short-circuit
Avinash Sawant, regional disaster management cell (RDMC) chief, Thane said, "We received information about the fire at the disaster management cell room at around 9:50am on Bus number MH-14 BT-1897 of Maharashtra State Transport Corporation going from Thane to Bhiwandi."
Sawant further added, "The bus driver Anand Vithoba Savare and conductor Ganpat Baburao Birajdar informed us that the bus caught fire due to short circuit in the ignition. Our staff along with fire brigade personnel reached the spot with one pickup vehicle. No one was injured in the incident. About 70 passengers in this bus going from Thane to Bhiwandi were rescued safely."
The fire was extinguished completely within two hours with the help of the bus driver, conductor, local residents, disaster management cell and fire brigade personnel.