Uttar Pradesh: 32 devotees fall sick after eating prasad during Bhandara in Kannauj
pinterest

Lucknow: Thirty-two people were taken ill after eating ‘prasad’ during a Bhandara, organized to mark the ending of ‘Bhagwat Katha’ in Jukhaya village under Sadar Police Station in Kannauj.

A week-long 'Bhagwat Katha’ was organized by villagers of Jukhaya village in Kannauj. It was followed with a ‘Bhandara’ on the concluding day on Saturday evening. ‘Puri-kheer’ was distributed as ‘prasad’ during the Bhandara in which devotees from adjoining villages also participated.

After eating the prasad, many of them complained of vomiting and stomach ache. They were rushed to the district hospital by family members. Panic prevailed in the village after the incident.

The Chief Medical Superintendent Dr Shakti Basu said that 32 people, including children, women and elderly, were admitted to the district hospital with symptoms of food poisoning. A few of them have been discharged, others are undergoing treatment, he added.

The District Magistrate R.K. Mishra claimed that all of them were doing fine and a team of doctors had been sent to the village to keep an eye on the situation. A probe has been ordered to ascertain reasons behind food poisoning. Samples of leftover prasad and other food items have been collected and sent to the lab for testing.

(To receive our E-paper on whatsapp daily, please click here. We permit sharing of the paper's PDF on WhatsApp and other social media platforms.)

Free Press Journal

www.freepressjournal.in