Telangana: 2 Children In Hyderabad Killed By Electrocution & Falling From Building While Flying Kites; Spark Concerns Over Metal-Coated 'Manja'

Telangana: 2 Children In Hyderabad Killed By Electrocution & Falling From Building While Flying Kites; Spark Concerns Over Metal-Coated 'Manja'

Chairman and MD of TSSPDCL, Musharraf Ali Faruqui, advised people not to fly kites near electricity installations, saying metal-coated 'manja' may cause electrocution and tripping of the supply network.

IANSUpdated: Sunday, January 14, 2024, 04:19 PM IST
article-image
Representative Image | File

Two children lost their lives during kite-flying in two separate incidents in Hyderabad. While an 11-year-old boy was electrocuted in the Attapur area, a 13-year-old died after she fell from a four-storey building in Nagole. 

Teen boy electrocuted in Attapur

In the first incident that occurred in Attapur, Tanishq (11) died due to electrocution while flying a kite on Saturday. The boy was flying kites on the rooftop of an apartment building along with his friends. According to police, he came in contact with the high-tension electric wires and died on the spot. The police booked a case of negligence against the owners of the apartment. 

Teen boy fell off the terrace while flying a kite

In the second incident, a boy lost his life while flying a kite on a rooftop with friends at Nagole. Shiva Kumar (13), an eighth-class student at a government school in Nagole, fell off the terrace of a four-storey building while flying a kite. He fell on the asbestos roof of an adjoining house and suffered grievous injuries. He was taken to a private hospital, where he succumbed on Saturday night. 

Experts advised people not to fly kites near electrical facilities

Meanwhile, Musharraf Ali Faruqui, Chairman and Managing Director of Telangana State Southern Power Distribution Company Limited (TSSPDCL), has advised people not to fly kites near electricity installations, saying metal-coated 'manja' thread may cause electrocution and tripping of the supply network. He urged people to desist from using metal-coated threads as they could cause electrocution. 

"Only use cotton, linen or nylon string. Never use metallic thread or metal-reinforced string; metal-coated thread (Manja) is a good conductor of electricity and may cause electric shock when it touches/comes close to an electric line," he said.

RECENT STORIES

ED Summons Bigg Boss Star Shiv Thakare In Money Laundering Case

ED Summons Bigg Boss Star Shiv Thakare In Money Laundering Case

Maharashtra: Community Policing Gets ₹1 Crore Fund

Maharashtra: Community Policing Gets ₹1 Crore Fund

Maratha Reservation: Government On 2-Day Notice From Jarange Patil

Maratha Reservation: Government On 2-Day Notice From Jarange Patil

CBI Moves HC For Stay On Indrani OTT Show, Says It Might Influence Witnesses

CBI Moves HC For Stay On Indrani OTT Show, Says It Might Influence Witnesses

Sikkim: Indian Army Rescues 500 Tourists Stranded Due To Heavy Snowfall In Gangtok

Sikkim: Indian Army Rescues 500 Tourists Stranded Due To Heavy Snowfall In Gangtok