Lucknow: Varanasi in UP will become the world’s third and India’s first city to have an urban ropeway transport system.Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday laid the foundation of passenger ropeway.
In the first phase, the ropeway would be available for transport from Cantt railway station to Godaulia. The 3.8-km-long ropeway will be constructed in two years at a cost of Rs644 crore. It will run 50 meters above the ground and will transport 6,000 people it in an hour.
The ropeway, which will be directly connected to Varanasi Cantt railway station, will have five stations along its route: Vidya Peeth, Bharatmala Mandir, Rath Yatra, Girja Ghar, and Godowlia Chowk.
Features of the Varanasi ropeway project
1) The Varanasi ropeway project is the first urban ropeway project under Parvatmala Pariyojana.
2) It can carry 3,000 passengers per hour per direction.
3) The ropeway will cover a distance of nearly 4 km in around 16 minutes.
4) It will be operational for 16 hours a day.
5) A trolley, which can carry 10 passengers, will run at an interval of every two minutes. According to the government, as many as 3,000 people will be able to travel in one direction in an hour through the ropeway.
6) After the foundation stone-laying, the ropeway project will be completed in 18 month.
7) The distance from Cantt to Gudaulia can be covered in just 16 minutes, which presently takes around 45 minutes.
Lays groundwork for 55 MLD sewage treatment plant
Modi also laid the groundwork for a 55 MLD (million litres per day) sewage treatment plant in Bhagwanpur as part of the Namami Gange scheme. The construction of the project is expected to cost Rs 300 crore.
As part of the Khelo India scheme, Modi laid the groundwork for the Phase 2 and Phase 3 redevelopment of Sigra Stadium.
He also dedicated 19 drinking water schemes under the Jal Jeevan Mission, which will benefit over three lakh people in 63 panchayats.
To further strengthen the rural drinking water system, the prime minister laid the foundation stone of 59 drinking water schemes under the mission.
(With PTI inputs)
(To receive our E-paper on WhatsApp daily, please click here. To receive it on Telegram, please click here. We permit sharing of the paper's PDF on WhatsApp and other social media platforms.)