Jharkhand: Four people were killed and 10 others suffered burn injuries after being electrocuted during a Moharram procession on Saturday. The tragedy took place when the Tazia they were carrying during the procession came in contact with a high-tension electric wire in Khetko village of Peterwar Block in Bokaro District today.
Religious Flag Came In Contact With Wire Of 11,000 Volts Current
The incident occurred at Khetko village under the Petarwar Police Station limits, around 80 km from the state capital Ranchi, when their religious flag, made of iron, came in contact with a live wire, Bokaro Superintendent of Police Priyadarshi Alok said.
"The incident occurred around 6 am on Saturday while they were preparing for a Muharram procession. They were carrying a religious flag and its pole was made of iron. It somehow came in contact with a high-tension electric wire of 11,000 volts," the SP told PTI.
Injured Ones Were Rushed To The Hospital
All the injured people were taken to a nearby hospital, he said. Eight of them were referred to the Bokaro General Hospital where four succumbed to their injuries and the condition of three were stated to be critical, the officer added.