Advertisement

Jahangirpuri demolition: Bulldozers raze down structure near mosque in Delhi's riot-hit area despite SC order

FPJ Web Desk | Updated on: Wednesday, April 20, 2022, 12:52 PM IST

Advertisement

New Delhi: The anti-encroachment drive in Delhi's Jahangirpuri area continued despite the Supreme Court's order to maintain the status quo.

The demolition drive is being carried out by the municipal corporation against the alleged encroachers.

The demolition process was briefly halted for a period of 15-20 minutes after the Supreme Court order.

A bulldozer today razed structures near the mosque in Delhi's Jahangirpuri that was at the centre of Saturday's communal clash.

Meanwhile, left leader Brinda Karat reached Jahangirpuri to stop the on-going demolition and met with commissioner Dependra Pathak

"The law and the constitution have been bulldozed by illegal demolitions. At least the Supreme Court & its order should not be bulldozed," said CPI(M) leader Brinda Karat. "At 10.45 am, the SC gave an order to maintain the status quo on the demolition drive, I have come here for the implementation of the order," she told reporters.


Bulldozers continued to raze structures in Delhi's Jahangirpuri despite a Supreme Court order to halt the anti-encroachment drive in the area days after it witnessed communal clashes during a Hanuman Jayanti procession.

Supreme Court on Wednesday ordered to maintain status-quo on demolition drive conducted by North Delhi Municipal Corporation in Jahangirpuri.

Chief Justice of India N.V. Ramana has asked the Supreme Court registry to communicate the stay order on the Jahangirpuri demolitions to the NDMC and police authorities, after Senior Advocate Dushyant Dave mentioned that the demolition was going on despite the status quo order.

"They say the order is not communicated. Please communicate, ask secretary General", Dave told the CJI, adding that it would be too late otherwise.

The CJI agreed, replying: "Okay, communicate it through Secretary General or Registrar General immediately."

After the Supreme Court halted the demolition drive in Jahangirpuri, Special Commissioner of Police Dependra Pathak said, "Let the civic agency take a decision... we're here to provide support and protection to the civic agency."


25 people have been arrested so far in connection with the violence. Five of them have been charged under the National Security Act, which allows detention up to a year without any charge.

Advertisement

(To receive our E-paper on whatsapp daily, please click here. To receive it on Telegram, please click here. We permit sharing of the paper's PDF on WhatsApp and other social media platforms.)

Published on: Wednesday, April 20, 2022, 12:52 PM IST