A day after an oceanside condominium building collapsed into a pile of rubble in Miami, around 160 people were still reported missing on Friday. The death toll has climbed to four so far. Rescuers combing through the twisted, shifting pile of concrete and metal fear it could be higher.
With scores of firefighters working overnight to reach any possible survivors both from under and atop the remains of the building, hopes rested on how quickly crews using dogs and microphones to sift through the wreckage could complete their grim, yet delicate task. "Every time we hear a sound, we concentrate on those areas," said Assistant Miami-Dade Fire Chief Raide Jadallah.
Three more bodies were removed overnight, and Miami-Dade Police Director Freddy Ramirez said authorities were working with the medical examiner's office to identify the victims. Eleven injuries were reported, with four people treated at hospitals. Miami-Dade Mayor Daniella Levine Cava said rescuers were at "extreme risk" going through the rubble.
"Debris is falling on them as they do their work. We have structural engineers on site to ensure that they will not be injured, but they are proceeding because they are so motivated and they are taking extraordinary risks on the site every day," she said.