BREAKING NEWS

Advertisement

World

Updated on: Tuesday, April 21, 2020, 02:18 AM IST

China rejects President Trump’s demand to probe origin of coronavirus in Wuhan

Describing the novel coronavirus as a plague, Trump on Sunday said that he is not happy with China where the pandemic emerged in December last year in Wuhan, the capital of central China's Hubei province.
China on Monday firmly rejected US President Donald Trump's demand to allow an American team into Wuhan to investigate the origins of the novel coronavirus. |

China on Monday firmly rejected US President Donald Trump's demand to allow an American team into Wuhan to investigate the origins of the novel coronavirus. |

Advertisement

China on Monday firmly rejected US President Donald Trump's demand to allow an American team into Wuhan to investigate the origins of the novel coronavirus, saying it was also a "victim and not a culprit" of the COVID-19.

Describing the novel coronavirus as a plague, Trump on Sunday said that he is not happy with China where the pandemic emerged in December last year in Wuhan, the capital of central China's Hubei province.

"We spoke to them (Chinese) a long time ago about going in. We want to go in. We want to see what's going on. And we weren't exactly invited, I can tell you that," Trump told reporters.

The US has launched an investigation into whether the deadly virus "escaped" from the Wuhan Institute of Virology.

Reacting to Trump's comments, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Geng Shuang told a media briefing here that "the virus is the common enemy for all mankind".

"It may appear at anytime anywhere in the world. Like any other country, China is attacked by this virus. China is a victim instead of the culprit. We are not co-worker for this virus," he said in a hard-hitting response to Trump's plan to send a US probe team.

As the COVID-19 death toll in US crossed 41,000 and the total infections more than 764,000, highest in the world, Trump and several US politicians pressed for action against China for not sharing enough details of the virus early on, when it first emerged in Wuhan.

The overall death toll in China as of Sunday stood at 4,632 after its recent revision of figures of fatalities in Wuhan by 50 per cent.

Geng said, "since the outbreak of the epidemic, China has been acting in an open, transparent and responsible manner with the most thorough and strong measures to stop the spread of the COVID-19".

He said China's efforts to contain the virus has provided "valuable experience for the international community" to deal with the outbreak in their own countries.

"This is also part of our important contribution. The international community appreciated China for doing this," he said.

Countering US politicians' assertions that China should be sued for so many deaths in the world, Geng said, "I don't remember there are any precedence" for such a prosecution.

(To receive our E-paper on whatsapp daily, please click here. We permit sharing of the paper's PDF on WhatsApp and other social media platforms.)

Advertisement
Published on: Tuesday, April 21, 2020, 06:57 AM IST
Advertisement