Air raid on mosque kills 12 Afghani kids

Air raid on mosque kills 12 Afghani kids

The strike occurred on October 21 in the Baharak district, where Taliban fighters had killed over 40 Afghan security forces earlier that day, provincial councilor Mohammad Azam Afzali told dpa

AgenciesUpdated: Thursday, October 22, 2020, 10:02 PM IST
article-image
Representative image | PIC: AFP

At least 12 children were killed and several others wounded in an air strike on a mosque in Afghanistan's northern Takhar Province, officials said on Thursday.

The strike occurred on October 21 in the Baharak district, where Taliban fighters had killed over 40 Afghan security forces earlier that day, provincial councilor Mohammad Azam Afzali told dpa.

The provincial governor spokesman also confirmed the report.

An aircraft bombarded the mosque after receiving information that Taliban fighters who were involved in the hours-before bloody attack on security forces were hiding there, Afzali added.

However, the militants had already left the mosque, Afzali and another security source said.

Meanwhile, the conflict across the country continues. For more than a week now there has been heavy fighting in southern Afghanistan. More than 100 civilians have died and tens of thousands of people have been driven from their villages.

RECENT STORIES

Flags, Firecrackers, & Freedom: Dhaka University Cheers New Political Chapter
Flags, Firecrackers, & Freedom: Dhaka University Cheers New Political Chapter
Macron-Modi Bonhomie Drives India-France Strategic Surge
Macron-Modi Bonhomie Drives India-France Strategic Surge
China Firework Tragedy: 8 Killed, 2 Injured In Explosion At Store In Jiangsu Province
China Firework Tragedy: 8 Killed, 2 Injured In Explosion At Store In Jiangsu Province
'Tremendous Alliance': Netanyahu Praises India Ahead Of PM Modi’s Israel Visit | VIDEO
'Tremendous Alliance': Netanyahu Praises India Ahead Of PM Modi’s Israel Visit | VIDEO
US President Donald Trump’s Board Of Peace Pledges USD 5 Billion For Gaza Rebuilding
US President Donald Trump’s Board Of Peace Pledges USD 5 Billion For Gaza Rebuilding