Former Tamil Nadu DGP VR Lakshminarayan, fondly known as VRL, passed away on Sunday following a brief illness. He was 91 and is survived by a son Suresh Lakshminarayan and two daughters Usha Ravi and Rama Lakshminarayan – all settled in the United States. A 1951 batch IPS officer, Lakshminarayanan had retired as Director General of Police in Tamil Nadu during the time of former Chief Minister M G Ramachandran (MGR). He was the brother of former Supreme Court Judge late V R Krishna Iyer, a former Supreme Court judge.
Here are 10 things to know about Former Tamil Nadu DGP VR Lakshminarayan.
1. Lakshminarayan began his career as an Assistant Superintendent of Police in Madurai and then rose to become the Joint Director of Central Bureau of Investigation.
2. In 1951, he underwent police training at Mount Abu.
3. In 1945, he graduated in Physics from Madras Christian College.
4. He was the IPS officer who arrested the late Indira Gandhi in 1977 in a corruption case after the emergency.
5. Lakshminarayanan had worked under various Prime Ministers including late Jawaharlal Nehru, Indira Gandhi, Charan Singh, and Morarji Desai.
6. As chairman and managing director of the Tamil Nadu Police Housing Corporation (TNPHC) from 1981 to 1984, he built police quarters at many places.
7. Lakshminarayanan retired in 1985 as a Director General of Police, Tamil Nadu.
8. He was known for his charity. After his retirement his pension was more than the salary he earned during his service. Hence, he donated to different causes. Recently, he even donated during the Kerala floods.
9. His autobiography ‘Appointments and disappointments: My life in the Indian Police Service’ proves that he was not only a man of integrity but also an intellectual with an amazing sense of humour.
10. His last rites would be performed on June 25 at Anna Nagar crematorium.
(With inputs from PTI)