Azim Premji, fondly known as the Czar of the Indian IT Industry, with his efforts turned the fate of Wipro around. Under his leadership, Wipro grew from a cooking fat company to becoming a conglomerate spanning IT, energy and consumer care. He was merely 21 when he took over the reins of Wipro in 1996 after the untimely demise of his father Mohammed Hasham Premji. To take over the business he had to drop out of Standford where he was pursuing his engineering. Over his 53-year stint at Wipro, he not only set high standards for business but also in giving back to the society, as he donated two-third of his wealth to charitable causes. What call be called as an end of an era, Azim Premji will retire on July 30 and his eldest son and Chief Strategy Officer Rishad Premji will succeed him as the Executive Chairman.
As Azim Premji plans to retire, here’s a look 10 quotes by Azim Premji to inspire success in your life and business.
• Success is achieved twice. Once in the mind and the second time in the real world.
• The three ordinary things that we often don't pay enough attention to, but which I believe are the drivers of all success, are hard work, perseverance, and basic honesty.
• You cannot mandate philanthropy. It has to come from within, and when it does, it is deeply satisfying.
• Excellence can be as strong a uniting force as solid vision.
• The responsibility of philanthropy rests with us. The wealthier we are, the more powerful we get. We cannot put the entire onus on the government.
• People are the key to success or extraordinary success.
• You cannot underestimate the value of luck in success in life. And I've really learned to appreciate that.
• Excellence endures and sustains. It goes beyond motivation into the realms of inspiration.
• People have to take control of their own lives. Education is key because it also raises other social indicators like healthcare.
• Excellence is a great starting point for any new organisation but also an unending journey.