Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal
Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal

"If Pizza, Burger, Smart phones, clothes etc can be delivered at home, why not ration?", said Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal on Sunday, alleging that the Centre is "blocking" Delhi government's "ration at home" scheme again.

Addressing a digital press conference, wherein he mainly focused on Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Kejriwal said the Delhi government will deliver ration to 70 lakh ration card holding residents in the national capital.

Kejriwal said the Centre had put the scheme on hold a couple of days before it was supposed to launch across the national capital. He said that all the process to launch the scheme was completed, tenders were issued and the Delhi government was ready to run the scheme in the next one or two days, however, it was stopped by the Centre again.

However, this is not the first time when the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) led Delhi government and the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) ruled Centre came face to face on this 'doorstep ration delivery scheme.'

Earlier in March this year, the Kejriwal government was prepared to provide ration to the people of Delhi at their homes, the Centre had shown the red flag, saying the scheme cannot be run by the Delhi government as it is under National Food Security (NFS) Act and hence it cannot be run under any other name.

Following this, the Delhi cabinet on March 20 withdrew the name 'Mukhyamantri Ghar Ghar Ration Yojana' saying the AAP government will not give any name to this scheme.

The scheme was announced on January 26 this year by Kejriwal during his Republic Day speech.

With inputs from IANS.

(To receive our E-paper on whatsapp daily, please click here. We permit sharing of the paper's PDF on WhatsApp and other social media platforms.)

Free Press Journal

www.freepressjournal.in