Pimpri-Chinchwad: Preliminary Report On Moshi Garbage Depot Accident Submitted To Maharashtra Government

Pimpri-Chinchwad: Preliminary Report On Moshi Garbage Depot Accident Submitted To Maharashtra Government

The high-level committee probing the Moshi garbage depot accident, in which nine workers were killed after a garbage mound collapsed on a waste-to-energy project building, has submitted its preliminary report to the Maharashtra government, officials said

Varad BhatkhandeUpdated: Sunday, August 23, 2026, 08:52 AM IST
Pimpri-Chinchwad: Preliminary Report On Moshi Garbage Depot Accident Submitted To Maharashtra Government
Pimpri-Chinchwad Municipal Corporation (PCMC) Building | File Photo

Pimpri-Chinchwad: The high-level committee probing the Moshi garbage depot accident, in which nine workers were killed after a garbage mound collapsed on a waste-to-energy project building, has submitted its preliminary report to the Maharashtra government, officials said. The committee has recorded its observations on the possible causes of the accident, safety compliance, operational practices and the responsibilities of different agencies involved in the project.

The accident took place on 8th July at the Pimpri-Chinchwad Municipal Corporation’s (PCMC) Moshi waste depot. A large mound of waste collapsed onto the Waste-to-Energy project's administrative building. Nine workers died, and 12 others were injured. Following the incident, police registered criminal cases against two officials of the contractor company. PCMC also suspended Chief Engineer Sanjay Kulkarni, Executive Engineer Yogesh Alhat and Fire Department Officer Rishikant Chipade.

High-Level Committee’s Formation…

The Urban Development Department appointed a high-level committee on 13th July to conduct a detailed technical inquiry. Pune Divisional Commissioner Sheetal Teli-Ugale was appointed as the head of the committee.

The committee was asked to submit a preliminary report within one month and a final report within two months. Over the past month, its members inspected the accident site and recorded statements from municipal officials, contractor representatives, technical experts, and workers who witnessed the incident.

The committee also examined project approvals, safety clearances, structural drawings and maintenance records before preparing its preliminary report. The report was submitted to the state government on 14th August.

Committee Examines Safety & Approvals

Administrative sources said the committee examined whether the building had a structural stability certificate and how permission was granted for an administrative building in a hazardous zone. It also looked into the division of supervisory responsibilities between the PCMC and the contractor operating the project.

The preliminary report is not expected to contain the committee’s final findings on responsibility. The final report will deal in greater detail with the exact causes of the collapse, technical lapses, possible administrative negligence and action against officials or contractors found responsible. The final report is expected to be submitted by 14th September.

Teli-Ugale said the preliminary report had been submitted and work on the final report was in progress. “The preliminary report on the Moshi accident has been submitted to the state government. Work on preparing the final report is underway. The final report will be submitted within the two-month deadline set by the government,” she said.

Changes in the Environment Department

After the accident, Chief Engineer Pramod Ombhase and Executive Engineer Soham Nikam was given charge of the Environment Department. Nikam was later relieved of the responsibility. Deputy Engineer Pankaj Dhende has now been given charge of the department.

In view of the increased workload, Executive Engineer (Civil) Vinay Ovhal has also been given the additional responsibility of Joint City Engineer.