Thane: Gas leaks in Badlapur chemical factory, residents complain of breathlessness

Faisal TandelUpdated: Friday, June 04, 2021, 06:04 PM IST
article-image
Gas leak at Nobel Intermediates Pvt Ltd company. |

A gas leakage from a chemical factory in the Badlapur MIDC in Thane was reported on Thursday night, creating panic in the area. People in the nearby area complained of breathlessness and a burning sensation in the eyes after the leak at Nobel Intermediates Pvt Ltd company.

According to the Thane Municipal Corporation, the incident took place on Thursday June 3 at 10:22pm at Nobel Intermediates private limited a chemical firm based at Shirgaon MIDC in Badlapur, Aptewadi, Badlapur east.

Officials said that it happened due to overheating which cause a chemical reaction of sulphuric acid and benzyl acid leading to release of toxic gases in air. According to the Badlapur Fire Station, no one was injured in the incident.

After the incident, around 2 fire brigade vehicles along with one fire vehicle from Shirgaon MIDC reached the spot. "The overheating of two chemicals in the factory had resulted in the chemical reaction which eventually spread the toxic fumes. We reached the spot with fire officials of MIDC. It was brought under control within 1 hour", said Bhagwat Sonane, Chief Fire officer Badlapur-Ambernath Fire brigade.

"We had have informed the Maharashtra Pollution Control board for further investigation, the chemical inspector and MIDC fire officials who will investigate and take action", added Sonane.

Sonane said ,"We reached the spot and immediately started the reactor cooling machine to control the temperature of the chemicals. We will investigate the matter in detail and necessary action will be taken against the company".

"We started emergency announcements in the area asking residents to stay safe in their house, and not to come out," a fire official said.

Smitej Sawant, a local from Badlapur who resides with his wife in a residential society hardly 500 meters away from the factory said, "The smoke was spread and was easily noticed for kilometers. People who were already at home over restriction of covid-19 were frightened due to the smoke outside. The smoke then entered the houses, unabling locals to breath and causing uneasiness," added Sawant who immediately sent a letter to Maharashtra pollution control board and asked them to carry out an industrial audit of all chemical companies in Badlapur MIDC.

"The authorities should investigate the chemical factory and take action against the firm, so that such reaction doesn't repeat again," added Sawant.

Parag Kashalkar, another local from Badlapur said, "Even if the fire officials control the situation. The smoke and fumes had already entered the body of locals, mostly senior citizens who couldn't sleep late at night and the smell kept irritating the complete night, taking away the sleep. We cannot see buildings next to us, all we can see is smog."

(To receive our E-paper on whatsapp daily, please click here. To receive it on Telegram, please click here. We permit sharing of the paper's PDF on WhatsApp and other social media platforms.)

RECENT STORIES

Daily Horoscope for Wednesday, June 29, 2022, for all zodiac signs by astrologer Vinayak Vishwas...

Daily Horoscope for Wednesday, June 29, 2022, for all zodiac signs by astrologer Vinayak Vishwas...

Maharashtra political crisis live update: Fadnavis meets Maha Governor, seeks direction to CM to...

Maharashtra political crisis live update: Fadnavis meets Maha Governor, seeks direction to CM to...

Collapsed building in Kurla was issued notice, still people continued to live there: Aaditya...

Collapsed building in Kurla was issued notice, still people continued to live there: Aaditya...

Business tycoon Pallonji Mistry passes away at 93

Business tycoon Pallonji Mistry passes away at 93

Man beheaded in Udaipur after sharing post in support of Nupur Sharma; attackers post video with...

Man beheaded in Udaipur after sharing post in support of Nupur Sharma; attackers post video with...