Sindoor Bridge Finally Opens, Easing East-West Commute In South Mumbai (VIDEO)

Sindoor Bridge Finally Opens, Easing East-West Commute In South Mumbai (VIDEO)

The south Mumbai bridge connecting east-west (P D’mello Road to Mohammad Ali Road) was constructed by the BMC after the original 150-year-old structure was declared unsafe by the Central Railway and dismantled in August 2022. The bridge was ready for use with all load testings and clearance from the Railways last month itself.

Rahul MUpdated: Thursday, July 10, 2025, 10:50 PM IST
article-image
Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis |

Mumbai: The ‘Sindoor Bridge’, formerly known as Carnac bridge finally opened for traffic movement from 3 pm on Thursday. The bridge was inaugurated by Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis in the morning.

The south Mumbai bridge connecting east-west (P D’mello Road to Mohammad Ali Road) was constructed by the BMC after the original 150-year-old structure was declared unsafe by the Central Railway and dismantled in August 2022. The bridge was ready for use with all load testings and clearance from the Railways last month itself.

However, the BMC had not received nod from the Chief Minister’s office to open the bridge, forcing the commuters to take a long detour. The FPJ had launched a campaign demanding to open the crucial south Mumbai connector without delay.

The opposition had also come together demanding the opening of the bridge, with Congress MLA Amin Patel raising the issue in the assembly session and Shiv Sena UBT and MNS protesting on site. Finally, it was announced earlier this week that the bridge will be inaugurated by on Thursday with a new name ‘Sindoor’.

“The Indian Army has showcased exceptional courage and strategic precision during 'Operation Sindoor' by striking deep into terrorist bases in Pakistan's hinterland. This renaming is a tribute to our armed forces and India's defence capabilities," Fadnavis said during the inauguration.

Fadnavis said that the old bridge at the location was named after the British governor Carnac and history shows he committed atrocities against Indians and we must end dark chapters of history. The British-era bridge, an east-west connector, was earlier known as the Carnac Bridge after former Bombay Province governor James Rivett Carnac, who held the office from 1839 to 1841.

The chief minister praised the BMC for completing the bridge within the timeline, overcoming various challenges. During the inauguration, Mumbai’s guardian minister MP Lodha and assembly speaker Rahul Narwekar were also present, along with BMC Commissioner Bhushan Gagrani.

The bridge is expected to significantly reduce traffic congestion at key intersections such as Walchand Hirachand Marg and Shaheed Bhagat Singh Road and improve east-west traffic flow across important routes, including Yusuf Meherally Road, Mohammad Ali Road, and Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel Road.

RECENT STORIES

Maratha Quota Protest Day 2: CSMT Faces Heavy Traffic & Roadblocks Amid Heavy Rains In Mumbai

Maratha Quota Protest Day 2: CSMT Faces Heavy Traffic & Roadblocks Amid Heavy Rains In Mumbai

Extortion On The Rails: A Deep Look Into Mumbai's Railway Police Abuse Of Power

Extortion On The Rails: A Deep Look Into Mumbai's Railway Police Abuse Of Power

Mumbai: Maratha Quota Stir Enters Day 2 As Manoj Jarange Patil Continues Hunger Strike At Azad...

Mumbai: Maratha Quota Stir Enters Day 2 As Manoj Jarange Patil Continues Hunger Strike At Azad...

Ganeshotsav 2025: Complete List Of Artificial Ponds In Mumbai’s Eastern Suburbs

Ganeshotsav 2025: Complete List Of Artificial Ponds In Mumbai’s Eastern Suburbs

Mumbai Sessions Court Denies Anticipatory Bail To Businessman In ₹10.5 Crore Gold Dabba Trading...

Mumbai Sessions Court Denies Anticipatory Bail To Businessman In ₹10.5 Crore Gold Dabba Trading...