Mumbai: The fire door that was left open near the stair case of the 12th floor of Mont Blanc building in Kemps Corner led to the death of the two domestic helps. Two domestic help of the 17th floor residents died due to suffocation after a fire broke out on the 12th floor of the building. The bodies of the two were found on 19th and 29th floor of the building.
Deputy Chief Fire Officer Sunil Nestrikar said, “The electric ducts in a high rise should be sealed along with the staircase and the fire door should be kept shut. These two things prevent the fire, heat and smoke heading up to the upper floors”.
A fire official said, “The fire door was kept open in the building on the 12th floor. Due to which the smoke went up to the 26th floor of the building.”
Nestrikar further added, “Carbon dioxide and carbon mono-oxide are the by-products of the fire. These are the elements that cause death. If the fire doors are kept closed the damage in a high rise building can be controlled. These mistakes lead to an increase in the casualties during a fire in a high rise apartment.”

(To receive our E-paper on whatsapp daily, please click here. We permit sharing of the paper's PDF on WhatsApp and other social media platforms.)

Free Press Journal

www.freepressjournal.in