Mumbai coastal road project back on track

The two tunnels are being constructed from Chhota Chowpatty to Priyadarshini Park. The total length of the tunnel is 2 km.

Kalpesh MhamunkarUpdated: Sunday, July 03, 2022, 09:28 PM IST
article-image
Photo: File Image

Coastal road project work has gained pace after 'Mavala', the giant tunnel Boring machine, excavated the 594-metre tunnel.

There are two tunnels on the coastal road of which Mavala completed the first tunnelling work on January 11, 2022, and began excavation of the second tunnel on March 30. Within three months Mavala has excavated around 600 metres of the second tunnel.

The two tunnels are being constructed from Chhota Chowpatty to Priyadarshini Park. The total length of the tunnel is 2 km.

An officer connected to the project said that 56 per cent of coastal road construction work has been completed and by December 2023, coastal road will start for the public. The officer also said that they will try and finish the remaining 44 per cent of work before schedule.

The BMC has come up with the project to ease traffic woes of the city. In the second phase, Mavala excavated 357 metres till the first week of June of the 10.58 km long project that starts from Princess Street at Marine Drive to Worli end of Bandra-Worli Sea Link.

BMC has taken precautionary measures to recede water at Priyadarshini Park, Amarsons, Bhulabhai Desai Marg, and Worli.

(To receive our E-paper on whatsapp daily, please click here. To receive it on Telegram, please click here. We permit sharing of the paper's PDF on WhatsApp and other social media platforms.)

RECENT STORIES

Raigad gun scare: AK 47, ammo found on boat; Maharashtra on high alert

Raigad gun scare: AK 47, ammo found on boat; Maharashtra on high alert

Borivli flyover potholes: BMC, MSRDC pass blame

Borivli flyover potholes: BMC, MSRDC pass blame

No blanket relief for victims of false criminal cases: Supreme Court

No blanket relief for victims of false criminal cases: Supreme Court

SC orders status quo, says Delhi HC-appointed CoA will not take charge of IOA

SC orders status quo, says Delhi HC-appointed CoA will not take charge of IOA

Mumbai: 70% Covid deaths in vaxxed elderly

Mumbai: 70% Covid deaths in vaxxed elderly