Mumbai: The Bombay High Court Tuesday reserved the order on a CBI plea seeking to drop the name of former Chief Minister Ashok Chavan as an accused in the the Adarsh housing society scam case. The then Maharashtra governor had refused to sanction Chavan’s prosecution. The court Tuesday also rejected an intervention application filed by activist Ketan Tirodkar opposing CBI’s plea. CBI and Chavan had opposed the plea saying that Tirodkar had no locus standi to file such an application. Justice M L Tahilyani said he was rejecting Tirodkar’s application because CBI and Chavan had opposed it. However, the judge said before passing the order on CBI’s plea, he would go into a Supreme Court judgement cited by Tirodkar which says that sanction is not needed to prosecute an accused in such cases. The special CBI court had dismissed the Central agency’s petition seeking to drop Chavan’s name, after which it moved the High Court. In its interim order last month, the High Court had stayed Chavan’s prosecution.

(To receive our E-paper on whatsapp daily, please click here. We permit sharing of the paper's PDF on WhatsApp and other social media platforms.)

Free Press Journal

www.freepressjournal.in