BJP MLA Mihir Kotecha Seeks BMC Action Against Over 100 Illegal Handcarts In Mulund

BJP MLA Mihir Kotecha Seeks BMC Action Against Over 100 Illegal Handcarts In Mulund

BJP MLA Mihir Kotecha urged BMC to act against over 100 four-wheeled handcarts allegedly parked illegally in Mulund. He claimed civic officials failed to act despite complaints and Bombay High Court directions. Kotecha raised the issue during BMC’s ‘Pedestrian First’ campaign and asked the civic body and police to ensure obstruction-free footpaths.

Kalpesh MhamunkarUpdated: Saturday, August 22, 2026, 01:30 AM IST
BJP MLA Mihir Kotecha Seeks BMC Action Against Over 100 Illegal Handcarts In Mulund
BJP MLA Mihir Kotecha Seeks BMC Action Against Over 100 Illegal Handcarts In Mulund |

Mumbai: BJP MLA Mihir Kotecha has urged the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) to take immediate action against more than 100 illegally parked four-wheeled handcarts in Mulund, alleging that civic officials have failed to act despite complaints and court directions.

Kotecha Claims Illegal Handcarts Continue Despite Court Directions

Kotecha’s demand comes amid the BMC’s recently launched ‘Pedestrian First’ campaign aimed at removing encroachments and obstructions from footpaths and ensuring safer, obstruction-free movement for pedestrians.

The MLA alleged that despite the civic body’s stated “zero tolerance” policy towards four-wheeled handcarts and directions issued by the Bombay High Court, such carts continue to operate and occupy public spaces in Mulund.

“Supposedly, there is zero tolerance for four-wheeled carts in Mumbai. Even the Bombay High Court order says so. However, the GPS-tagged photos tell a different story,” Kotecha said, alleging that the situation reflected the failure of the BMC’s T Ward to enforce the court’s directions.

BJP MLA Accuses BMC T Ward Of Failing To Enforce Rules

According to Kotecha, he had personally submitted details and locations of more than 100 four-wheeled handcarts that were allegedly being illegally parked and rented out in Mulund. However, he claimed that no action had been taken by the civic authorities.

Kotecha criticised the alleged inaction of the T Ward administration and appealed to BMC Commissioner Ashwini Bhide to intervene and ensure enforcement of the rules.

He also questioned the role of Additional Municipal Commissioner (Eastern Suburbs) Avinash Dhakne and sought accountability from the concerned civic officials.

The BJP MLA further urged the Mumbai Police and the concerned Deputy Commissioner of Police to coordinate with the BMC and ensure that action is taken against the illegal handcarts and that the Bombay High Court’s directions are complied with.

Kotecha said strict enforcement was necessary to ensure that pedestrians are not forced to use roads because of encroachments and illegally parked handcarts.

To get details on exclusive and budget-friendly property deals in Mumbai & surrounding regions, do visit: https://budgetproperties.in/