Indore: In a recent drive, the Food and Drug Administration Department ( FDA) seized 50 sacks of coriander seeds from a Neemuch- bound passenger bus. But, what is shocking is that the team found large quantity of coriander seeds dyed with harmful non- edible colours.
It seems traders have found a new way to make quick buck. Their latest act may put your life at risk. Acting on a tip- off, a jointteam of the FDA and Sales Tax Department seized about 13 quintals of coloured coriander seeds from a Gagan Travels bus.
“ We sent the samples of coriander for lab testing to Bhopal. The S- T department also acted promptly against the supplier,” Senior Food Safety Officer Manish Swami said adding that the dyed coriander seeds were supplied by Deepak Trading Company of Panchsheel Nagar.” Swami further said that they were shocked when they seized large quantity of sub- standard food product.
“ We come across coloured dry fruits and adulteration in pulses by mixing papaya and watermelon seeds. This is for the first time when we seized coriander seeds dyed with harmful colour to make it quality product.” During preliminary investigation, it came to light that most traders from Mandsuar and Neemuch are currently engaged in this business.’ “ We also got information that these traders also take orders to provide substandard spices to other parties.
We also received information about mustard seeds and black pepper polished with mineral oil,” Swami said.After the revelation, the FDA decided to launch a drive against sub- standard spices and edibles.
Hazardous for health
The experts said that unnatural and sub- standard dyes are hazardous for human health and intake may prove fatal. “ Ingestion of food dyes can cause attention deficit, allergies, asthma, behavioral changes, hyperactivity, gastric upset, migraines, skin manifestations, and sleep disturbances including night terrors in children,” senior physician Dr Mahendra Jha said. He further said that the Food Safety Authority has approved some of the food colors but also set a limit of ingestion and its over consumption would lead to health problems.