Indore : Devi Ahilya Vishwavidyalaya (DAVV) that is applying for University with Potential for Excellence Status got a shot in the arm, on Tuesday as the State Government awarded excellence status to two of its teaching departments.
These departments are: School of Economics (ECON) and Educational Multimedia Research Centre (EMRC).
“The State Government had sought two proposals under Centre of Excellence scheme from the DAVV. We had recommended the proposals of ECON and EMRC. Both our proposals have been accepted and the Centre of Excellence status has been granted to both the departments,” Vice-Chancellor Prof DP Singh said.
With this, the total number of departments with excellence status in the DAVV has risen to three. Take Note: School of Education already has excellence status from Ministry of Human Resource and Development.
A year of goodies to DAVV
Grade ‘A’ accreditation from NAAC, advanced level SAPs from the UGC, Inter-State National Youth Festival from AIU, offer to set up national-level sport complex and synthetic track from Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports and now two Centres of Excellence from State Government for DAVV the year 2014 has proven as the luckiest one. More goodies could follow as the DAVV is applying for University with Potential for Excellence status from UGC, Model University tag from the State Government and Unesco chair.
Educational Multimedia Research Centre (EMRC)
The EMRC has applied for Centre of Excellence status for electronic media. The reason it got the status are following:
1. It is the only education institute in the country which is performing all four tasks – teaching, production, broadcasting, and research.
2. Equipped with best of facilities. State-of-the-art studio. Best infrastructure.
3. High placements and admission through national-level CET.
4. UGC-supported department. It receives grants of crores from the UGC.
School of Economics (ECON)
This department has applied for Centre of Excellence status in economics discipline. The reason it got the status are following:
1. The department is UGC-SAP supported and has state chair for micro-economics and governance.
2. Offering innovate courses like Business Economics, International Business and Financial Services. It also has plans to start PG in Agro Business and PG in Rural Development
3. Research thrust areas include Malwa and Nimar regions.
4. Infrastructure is good, placements are high and admissions through CET.
Benefits of the status
The departments will have permission from the government to collaborate at national and international level.
Brighter prospects of clinching University with Potential for Excellence status from the UGC
Funding agencies will prefer DAVV to universities for their projects in electronic media and economic disciplines
These departments will get preference for allocation of funds to be sanctioned under National Higher Education Mission also known as RUSA