Seven more women members joined the council of ministers of Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Wednesday, taking the overall female strength to 11 which is one of the highest.
The seven women who took oath as ministers of state were Karandlaje, Darshana Vikram Jardosh, Lekhi, Annpurna Devi, Pratima Bhoumik, Dr Bharati Pravin Pawar and Apna Dal's Anupriya Singh Patel.
Among them, three are first-time MPs while Patel is making a comeback to the council of ministers as she was the Union Minister of State for Health under Prime Minister Modi earlier.
Nirmala Sitharaman, Smriti Irani (both Cabinet ministers), Sadhvi Niranjan Jyoti and Renuka Singh Saruta are already part of the Union council of ministers.
Here's full list of new women ministers in Team Modi:
1. Anupriya Singh Patel (40): She is a Lok Sabha MP for Mirzapur in Uttar Pradesh, serving her 2nd term as MP. She has served as Union Minister of State for Health under PM Narendra Modi in his first term. She has also served as an MLA in Uttar Pradesh. Prior to beginning her political career, she worked as a Professor at Amity University, and has a MBA from Chhatrapati Shahuji Maharaj University, Kanpur.
2. Shobha Karandlaje (54): She is a Lok Sabha MP for Udupi Chikmagalur in Karnataka, serving her 2nd term as MP. She has also been 1-time MLA and 1-time MLC in Karnataka. She has served as Cabinet Minister in Government of Karnataka, holding a range of portfolios across Food and Civil Supplies, Power, Rural Development and Panchayati Raj System. She has been in public life for 3 decades, since her student days. She has a MA in Sociology from Mangalore University, Dakshin Kannada, Karnataka.
3. Darshana Vikram Jardosh (60): She is a Lok Sabha MP for Surat in Gujarat, serving her 3rd term as MP. • She has also been Corporator of Surat Municipal Corporation and Member of Gujarat Social Welfare Board. She has served for 4 decades in public life. She is Director of ‘Sanskruti’, an art and cultural organization. She has studied BCom from K P Commerce College, Surat.
4. Meenakashi Lekhi (54): She is a Lok Sabha MP for New Delhi, serving her 2nd term as MP. She has also been a Member of New Delhi Municipal Corporation (NDMC). She is a Supreme Court Lawyer and Social Worker. She has studied LLB from Delhi University.
5. Annpurna Devi (51): She is a Lok Sabha MP for Kodarma in Jharkhand, serving her 1st term as MP. She has also been a 4-time MLA from Jharkhand and Bihar. She has served as Cabinet Minister in Government of Jharkhand, holding portfolios like Irrigation, Women & Child Welfare, Registration. She also served as Minister of State for Mines and Geology in the Government of Bihar, at the young age of 30. She has a MA in History from Ranchi University.
6. Sushri Pratima Bhoumik (52): She is a Lok Sabha MP for Tripura West in Tripura, serving her 1 st term as MP. She comes from a humble background, practices farming. She holds a Graduate degree in Bio-Science from Women's College, Tripura University.
7. Bharati Pravin Pawar (42): She is a Lok Sabha MP for Dindori in Maharashtra, serving her 1st term as MP. She served as Member of Nashik Zila Parishad and worked for eradicating malnutrition and providing clean drinking water. Before joining public life, she was a Medical Practitioner. She holds a MBBS degree in Surgery from NDMVPS Medical College, Nashik.