New Delhi: New Army Chief General Dalbir Singh Suhag on Friday warned Pakistan that India’s response to any provocative acts like last year’s beheading of a soldier, would be “more than adequate, intense and immediate”.
While his predecessor, General (retired) Bikram Singh, had said that India had given a “befitting reply” to the January 2013 beheading of Lance Naik Hemraj Singh at the Line of Control (LoC), General Suhag said today: “I can tell you that our response to any such act will be more than adequate in future. It will be intense and immediate.”
He was speaking to reporters after his welcome Guard of Honour as Chief of Army Staff.
Lance Naik Hemraj Singh and another soldier were killed by Pakistani troops who crossed over into Indian territory in the Mendhar sector of Jammu and Kashmir on January 8 last year.
That incident and a series of ceasefire violations strained ties between the two neighbours.